Lincoln Animal Ambassadors’ Pet Food Bank is a Income Based Program that offers temporary assistance to help families feed their pets. The program is not intended to be a permanent source of pet food. Pick up is limited to one time per month.
The program is designed to help families keep their pets when the alternative is sending them to a shelter or rescue. Our ability to assist depends on the donations we receive. Our assistance is limited to the types of food and supplies that have been donated. We cannot guarantee we will always be able to fill all requests, especially requests for specific brands of food or specialty diets. We can only accept applications from residents of Lancaster County.
Pet food can be received by a household one (1) time every thirty (30) days.
To apply to receive pet food, complete the online application or call 402.817.1168.
Pet Food Bank Location:
300 Oak Creek Drive #1
Lincoln, NE 68528
Days and times for pickup may vary according to volunteer availability and require a scheduled appointment.
Proof of Financial Need
We follow the WIC Income Eligibility Guidelines to determine if someone is eligible for assistance. See the income chart here.
Applicants are required to provide proof of their identity by submitted a sate issued photo id/driver’s license, a federal, state or local government, or military ID card.
Applicants will also be required to provide proof of financial need through one of the following options.
- If the applicant is receiving assistance from a qualifying agency, provide your statement of qualifying benefit period. The applicant must be listed as the beneficiary, statement of benefit documents that are assigned to the applicant's dependents are not accepted.
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- Applicants can also provide the following documents for all persons residing in the home. Applicant eligibility is based on gross (pre-tax) earned and unearned income.
- Paycheck stub(s) for all income earned in the past month.
- Payment records for all child support, unemployment compensation benefits or disability benefits that you receive.
- A copy of last year’s income tax return. (Required for self-employed applicants)
You can submit your documents with your online application or you can mail copies to:
Lincoln Animal Ambassadors
P.O. Box 67072
Lincoln, NE 68506
Pet Food Bank Rules and Guidelines
1. To receive assistance you must complete an application. By submitting the application, you agree to follow the rules and guidelines of the program.
2. Only one application can be completed per household. All household income must be reported on one application.
3. All applications will be reviewed by a Lincoln Animal Ambassadors (LAA) representative. The representative will confirm program eligibility and may request additional information prior to approving your application.
4. Applicants are required to submit a state-issued photo ID or drivers license, or other form of government-issued identification before the application will be reviewed.
5. Applicants are required to provide documentation that proves they meet LAA's income eligibility requirements. A list of these documents is provided later in the application. This may include proof of unemployment. Additional proof of income may be required at any time at LAA’s discretion.
6. Applicants are required to provide documentation showing all pets in the household have been spayed or neutered. Applicants can request a spay/neuter voucher for any intact pet as part of this application to temporarily meet this requirement.
7. Food will only be provided for the animals in your initial application. Households receiving assistance from this program are not allowed to acquire additional animals at any time. Adding additional pets to the household indicates you no longer need our assistance, and your eligibility will be terminated immediately.
8. Pet(s) cannot be used for breeding purposes or any illegal acts. Pets cannot be tethered or chained up longer than one hour unattended. For the health and safety of your cat, it should not be allowed to roam freely outdoors.
9. Only the primary applicant and one authorized individual are allowed to pickup food at the pet food bank. Photo Identification of the authorized individual will be required.
10. If your application is approved, you will be issued an LAA Identification Card. This card MUST be presented when picking up food during your scheduled appointment. There is a $10.00 replacement fee for lost or stolen cards.
11. LAA should not be the sole provider of food for your pets. Each household can only request a food pickup once every 30 days. Each food pickup will be scheduled via phone. Recipients are required to leave a message on the phone line to schedule their appointment.
12. The brand and amount of food donated to LAA varies. Recipients may not receive the same amount or type of food each month. LAA's food is provided by independent donations. We may not be able to help with all of your needs.
13. Food is intended to be fed to the animals listed in your application. Absolutely any other use of the food is considered abuse of the program and you will be terminated immediately.
14. This is not a government assistance program. LAA reserves the right to terminate assistance for individuals who are rude or demanding to any LAA staff member. Sexual harassment is not tolerated.
15. LAA reserves the right to revise, alter, or otherwise change any and/or all components of the Temporary Assistance Pet Food Bank rules and guidelines without notice to participants.
Please note: When application is completed you must call 402.817.1168 and leave a voice mail to arrange to pick up food for your pet(s).
You must complete the online application prior to receiving assistance.